APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-05 > 1115273208

From: "Barbara Wylie" <>
Subject: RE: [APG] RE: Ancestry Marketing
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 01:06:48 -0500

Thank you, Elissa, for your reasoned response. Although the "instant
ancestors" hype causes us all to grit our teeth, how many of us would have
begun genealogical research if we'd been told that it was so difficult only
a professional could do it? We jumped right in, experienced the thrill of
our first finds, and THEN discovered that we couldn't go further without
developing our skills through education or hiring a professional. Many of
the people who buy the "instant ancestors" approach today will become our
clients or students in our classes and workshops in the fullness of time.

By and large, Ancestry has been a friend of the genealogical community and
they've been willing to listen, so let's register our concerns politely and
not have a Bash Ancestry party.

Barbara Brixey Wylie
Grand Prairie, TX