APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2005-05 > 1115240694-01

From: "Kay Ingalls" <>
Subject: Ancestry Marketing
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 14:04:54 -0700

I have been meaning to post regarding the Ancestry.com marketing in the
San Francisco Bay Area and the thread on scams and ethical marketing
seems a good segue.

For several months the only SF classical music station has been airing
an Ancestry ad. I can't quote it word-for-word (mostly because each time
I hear it, the pounding of my rising blood pressure obscures my brain's
ability to process it), but the most offending section goes something
like this:

"In just one phone call we'll find your family. Sometimes back 10
generations! In 5 minutes you can learn about your grandparents'
wedding, your immigrant ancestor's ship. In fact we're so sure, we'll
send you our award winning software free. Call now."

Has anyone else heard this ad or ones similar in their areas?

Kay

Kay Germain Ingalls, CG

CG, Certified Genealogist, is a registered service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license after periodic
examinations.

This thread: