APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2004-12 > 1102305493

From: "Mills" <>
Subject: RE: [APG] Projectors
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:59:04 -0600

Ken wrote:
<The next issue I would consider is the profitability of this device. How
many lectures or classes do you do each year? How much do you earn per
lecture/lesson? How long will you need to go before earn enough to pay for
the machine, >

Aha! Ken! You've struck right to the heart of the matter, here. Even without
the cost of converting lectures and lessons from slides to PowerPoint, I
doubt there is a lecturer on APG-L who can give a lecture enough times, at a
high enough fee, to reimburse the hours invested in the lecture itself and
the ongoing revisions of it--much less the $1,000 to $3,000 cost of a
projector that, in two or three years, will be out of date and have to be
replaced. (Not to mention those $250-400 bulbs you brought up.)

The real question--given that societies now cannot afford to supply
these--is whether we should fork over $1,000 to $3,000 just so we can "look
good." :).

Elizabeth

P.S. In Carolyn's case, and in mine, we do have one important forum in which
the projectors are supplied by the sponsor: The Samford University IGHR.
Others who lecture at universities may be similarly fortunate. In those
forums, the "costs" of conversion to PowerPoint is simply the time, and most
of us are doing that. But, then, the Samford lectures, these days, are
usually ones we save just for Samford, so we can't do them enough elsewhere
to make up the time costs of the conversion <g>.

Isn't lecturing fun?

This thread: