APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2004-12 > 1102304291

From: "Kenneth G. Aitken" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Projectors
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:38:11 -0600

Carolyn,
I'm in the process of shopping for one too. One of the questions I have
is about the bulb. These bulbs are often $450 or more each. Their life is
judged in hours. however this can be reduced by poor handling I assume .
Are they readily available where you are? What do they cost?

The machines you've mentioned are both 1100 lumens, a good rating for
groups, great for groups about 25, good for those groups 50-75. For groups
of 100 or more they may not be as good. Mind you 1100 lumens suits my needs.

I suspect you are attracted to the weight factor. There are many cheaper,
heavier 1100 lumen machines. Don't forget the carrying case-- is it custom
for the machine?

The next issue I would consider is the profitability of this device. How
many lectures or classes do you do each year? How much do you earn per
lecture/lesson? How long will you need to go before earn enough to pay for
the machine, and the time it takes to convert your lectures/lessons from
overheads to Powerpoint? One does need to be careful about acquiring an
extra dependent living off your lecture income.

Take a look at Dell, they make some too that may be a better buy. Find out
from a repair technician for the machines on your short list which they have
seen most frequently. Toshiba notebooks/laptops, for example seem to well
known by repair people-- from experience-- is that a good thing?

I think those wireless remote controlls are generally sold seperately. I
plan on getting one myself.

Good luck in your search. I expect you'll get yours before I buy mine as I
need to buy a new notebook first.

Kenneth G. Aitken,
Family History Education Services,
2426 Dewdney Avenue East