APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2003-12 > 1070734922

From: Neil <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Dell Computer Experience
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:22:02 -0800

Just to shed some light on the serviceability issue - we purchased a couple
of HP Pavilion computers a little over a year ago. One month into extended
warranty, one computer hard drive died and unexpected premature death.
Because HP apparently feels it is cost efficient to ship computers without
the essential recovery disks, those had to be ordered direct from HP.

Let me tell you, from our experience with HP they would not fit into Tom
Peters definition of an excellent company. It took many telephone calls,
politely requesting assistance, and finally being very direct in comment,
they took six sweet weeks to get those recovery disks shipped to the repair
facility.

It will be a frosty Friday before I purchase another HP.

About the same time, my neighbour had purchased a Dell, when his computer
kicked the bucket, one phone call to Dell and they had a replacement
computer on the way, which he received the next day - thx to FedEx.

When it's time to replace the current computers you can bet it will be
ding-a-ling-Dell; unless they lose the bubble in the interim.
Regards,
Neil