APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2002-10 > 1034266531

Subject: [APG] Convents and rectories
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:15:31 EDT

Hi,

Since I am not a professional genealogist, I have always only lurked on the
list and learned things. But in the question of convents and rectories, I
would like to suggest that you get in touch with the archdiocesan office in
St Louis. For many years -- and I would expect this would have gone back at
least to the early part of the 20th century -- there were annuals published
which contained a list of all priests in the US and where they were stationed
-- church or school or whatever address -- that given year. I imagine the
archdiocese of St Loui would have copies of these books.

In fact our public library has copies of many of them, so you might check
your own local library as well. I think the same may be true of the
whereabouts of sisters, but possibly not.

While it's true that priests and nuns do not as a rule have descendants, they
can be very useful in tracing lines because the information on them in local
church records is usually fairly complete and obituaries mention many
relatives, giving a researcher lots of leads.

Barbara Schenck

This thread: