APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2002-10 > 1034261746

From: "Julie Miller" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Convents and rectories in the census
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:55:46 -0600

Buffy,
Kathleen Hinckley addresses the problems of finding nuns and brothers on
pages 205-207 in her book, Your Guide to the Federal Census.
Many times nuns were soundexed under S-236 for the surname Sister. If they
reported a surname, they should be soundexed under that name.
I have no suggestions for the priest since priest retained their name and
therefore should be soundexed under their surname.
Hope this helps.

Julie Miller
Genealogy Research