APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2002-09 > 1032981279

From: Joan Lowrey <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry's indexes
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:16:46 -0700

At 11:30 AM 9/25/02, Connie Bradbury wrote:
>I don't know much about how Ancestry gets the info they make available, but
>don't they pay people to submit the information?

I was told by one man who was making CDs of genealogical data (he was not
associated with any of the major companies) that all companies, including
himself, employed people in India to do the data extractions because of the
low labor cost there (I am sure he quoted me something around $1.50/hr.,
maybe even less). But even though they are English-speaking they are not
familiar with names and places in America, so probably wouldn't recognize
what a difficult-to-read name should be. All they are are typists, and
maybe not too good at that, either. Remember the adage, "You get what you
pay for."

Joan N. Lowrey
La Jolla, CA

This thread: