APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2002-09 > 1032227740

From: Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Indexing Females
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:55:40 -0400

At 11:11 PM 09/15/2002 -0700, Joan Lowrey wrote:
>Here's how I indexed Verla, born Gardner, who married four times, and one
>of her sons who was born to Mr. Allers, but when she married Mr. Clary, was
>known as Clary:
>
>Allers
>Daniel James, 58, 61, 63, 64, 286, 295, 395. See also Clary, Daniel Allers
>Verla (Gardner,) 61, 64, 70, 286, 395. See also under Gardner; Wright; Clary;
> Gilbert

My choice would be to have one main form of the person's name where all page
numbers where that person appears are gathered, with see references from the
other forms of the name. This saves the reader from having to flip around in
the index looking for different forms of the name (and in the example you
give above, looking at pages 61, 64, 286, and 395 twice each). If i'm
looking for information about someone in a book, I want all the information
about him or her, not just information from a particular time period.

except the last one: e.g., my great grandmother as Lovina (Rader) (Reese)
West. If I gave her name as Lovina (Rader) Reese West, it could raise
questions in some people's minds as to whether she married Mr. Reese and
then Mr. West, or whether she married a high-falutin' Englishman named Mr.
Reese West.

Christine

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Hyde Park, NY