APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2002-09 > 1032137497

From: "Barb Wylie" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Indexing females
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:51:37 -0500

I, too, favor only one index for most publications. A recent search in a
cemetery book illustrates my point and multiple other author-inflicted
irritations as well. It was a rural county where there were dozens of small
cemeteries. Each cemetery started with "page 1" so that there were often an
uninterrupted sequence of several pages numbered "1"! There was no header or
footer to quickly identify the cemetery on each page. The index followed the
confusing page numbering. The entry for Mary Smith was: 3, 1, 1, 6, 1.
Readers had to find each page 1, even though there were many other pages
with that number upon which Mary Smith was not recorded.

Please just send me through the alphabet once with enough qualifiers (such
as birth year, family relationship or location) to eliminate some of the
Mary Smiths!

Barbara Brixey Wylie