APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 1999-03 > 0920473705

From: <>
Subject: Re: Is there a diplomatic way?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:08:25 EST

I really applaud the answers being given to this question! You all are far
more diplomatic than I have been at times!!

It reminds me of the time that I received a phone call from a gentleman who
wanted me to research his family--NOW! I gently tried to explain to him that I
was too swamped to take on any new clients at this time, but I'd be happy to
recommend someone. Well, for the area he wanted researched, both the
genealogists I wanted to recommend said that they only accepted requests by
letter. He grew extremely irrate and was going on and on about that was no way
to do business. I explained that we are all one-man operations and we couldn't
afford to give away so many unbillable hours.

Then I asked his occupation--would you believe he admitted that he was a
lawyer! You can imagine what I said next...!!! I don't know if he ever
contacted any one to do research, but I bet he doesn't call and keep them on
the phone for over an hour the way he did me that day!

Mary Bell

This thread: