APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 1999-03 > 0920399426

From: "Jean R. Legried" <>
Subject: Re: Is there a diplomatic way?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:30:26 -0600

At 10:38 AM 3/1/99 -0500, Elizabeth Whitaker wrote:
>Is there a diplomatic way to answer a request for doing free work and not
turn off a potential client?

>In the four years I've been on the S.C. Archives' researchers' list, I've
gotten three or four requests from people wanting me to send them any
information I may have in my files on a particular person or family.
Usually, I've ignored these, not knowing how to answer them without
triggering a nasty phone call or letter.

>I've had some clients, all of whom have paid me. I do require a deposit
before I start work.

>I am operating on a shoestring. (I resigned from a job in December and am
not on either unemployment or a pension. I am searching for a paying job.)

Elizabeth et al -----------

When I receive a request for research from a "free loader", I send that
person a copy of my brochure and, maybe a letter if I am familiar with the
family to be researched. The brochure outlines the type of research I do,
my credentials, my charges and what I require for a deposit. I figure that
if they send a deposit, they're serious -- if they don't send a deposit,
I'm probably well rid of them.

Jean R. Legried, CGRS
Norwegian-American research specialty
<>