ANDERSON-L Archives

Archiver > ANDERSON > 2001-08 > 0997835066

Subject: [ANDERSON-L] JAMES ANDERSON (1783 SC)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:24:26 EDT

I found a family sheet of a JAMES ANDERSON, SR, will dated 2 May 1770
in Colleton Co., SC. The parents were listed as Thomas Anderson and Jane.
Children listed were: Thomas, John, James, Colbert, Ann (John Mount),
William, and Stephen. The compiler listed was Mrs Marilyn F. Childress,
Knoxville, TN, March 31, 1987.

I have been told by several people that descendants that this James Anderson
migrated to Benton (Calhoun) County, Alabama. Did this James Anderson also
file a will in 1783 in Abbeville, South Carolina? If not, are they related?

Paul Jackson Anderson researched the Andersons of Calhoun County, Alabama
in his book. I think the name of his book was "The Andersons of Laurens and
Abbeville District, South Carolina".

ALABAMA RECORDS, Vol. 156, Benton County, Alabama by Pauline Jones
Gardrud, page 78, Paul Jackson Anderson states: "I found the will of my
ancestor, James Anderson, 1783 in Pauline Young's book, "Abstracts of
Old Ninety-Six and Abbeville District Wills and Bonds as on File in the
Abbeville, South Carolina Courthouse". James Anderson came to South
Carolina about 1770 from Charlotte County, Virginia. He was in Lunenburg
County, Virginia in 1748." It then states in the next paragraph that his
oldest son was named William.

I found the following at the FHC on Microfilm #1486787, Surname Vertical
File Amerson - Anderson: "The Andersons of Laurens and Abbeville District
South Carolina" (by Paul Jackson Anderson), "James Anderson, the earliest
known ancestor of the Andersons of upper S. C., was living in Lunenburg
County, Virginia, as early as 1748, on land purchased in 1747. This land
was located on Ward's Creek on what later became Charlotte County, Va.
He was the father of a large family and it is believed that his wife was named
Margaret."

The Will of James Anderson was dated May 18, 1782, proved May 6, 1783
in Abbeville, SC. Heirs listed were:
William Anderson (born 1731 in Va., died 1798, wed Molly Cobb)
Alexander Hamilton (son in law)
George Anderson
Answorth Middleton (son in law - wife recently found by researchers to be Jean
Anderson)
Robert Young (son in law)
John Miller (son in law)
Andrew Anderson

On page 96 of the above publication it states: "Margaret Elizabeth Thompson
born June 26, 1830, Abbeville Dist., SC, died Calhoun County, Ala. June
30, 1906, married James Wilson Anderson (1826 - 1908) in 1848, son of
James and Nancy Wilson Anderson of Laurens and Edgefield District, S. C."
(I am assuming that this James Anderson is the son of James Sr. above.)

This thread: