AMES-L Archives

Archiver > AMES > 2000-01 > 0949268710

From: "carole williams" <>
Subject: Re: [AMES] Ames UK
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:45:10 -0000

Hi RichardA

(I'm in contact with another Richard Ames from this list so I'm having to
differentiate you two as you have different requests)

Way back in 1651 Matthew Ames died in Scotland. He'd come from Somerset
originally and came to Scotland with the troubles of the civil war here.
In 1656 his son Levi AMES died there too. He was described as serving in
Captain Grove's troop. This was a Royalist Troop raised by Captain or
Colonel Grove, a Wiltshire gentleman, who was afterwards executed at
Taunton by Cromwell's orders.

Consequently there may have been a pocket of AMES descendents in Scotland
from Levi.

I thought that you would like to know this, in case the family rumour is
true.

Good luck, Carole