Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2004-04 > 1083169562

From: "Tree Mother" <>
Subject: Re: [A-REV] Land Grant
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:26:49 -0500
References: <>

This may have occured under the law of "Eminent Domain" whereby any
government entity (city, state or national) can claim land for public
benefit. One is usually compensated at the time at whatever price is
determined to be the value. One does not retain rights to this land
There may be more on the NET through Google n Eminent Domain.
Tree Mother
"She is insane, of course. The family history has bcome a mania for her."
Hercule Poirot
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelly" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 11:12 AM
Subject: RE: [A-REV] Land Grant

> Anyone know the answer to this one?
> What happens when the govt. takes famliy land during wartime
> "for war purposes"? What happens when the war is over if they
> still have the paper grants, do they get their land back or does
> the govt. try to keep it?
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:]
> Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 9:50 AM
> To:
> Subject: Re: [A-REV] Land Grant
> When the federal government--or "general government" as they called it
> the Civil War--transferred ownership of land the transferring document was
> (and is) called a Patent. After that individuals transfer ownership
> deeds.
> The Warrant, issued to a veteran, authorized that vet to receive X acres
> land, dependent upon rank during service. There was no need to record a
> warrant. In the early 1800's--to about 1855--a warrant might have changed
> hands three
> or four times before someone actually claimed land with it. It could get a
> lot of distance from the original owner.
> Does this answer your question?
> Bob Stewart
> Carson City NV
> ==== AMERICAN-REVOLUTION Mailing List ====
> To unsubscribe from the digest format send an email to
> with the single
> word, unsubscribe, in the subject field & body of the message.
> ==== AMERICAN-REVOLUTION Mailing List ====
> Whether you believe you can or you believe
> you can't, either way you're correct.

This thread: