AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1059610238

From: "lguzman" <>
Subject: Re: [A-REV] Lookup request: Capt.FUSDALE, 1780
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:10:48 -0500

It is frustrating, sometimes, not to have the whole story. I'm reading the
diary of Captain Ewald (from Hesse Cassel--just down the road from where I
lived in Germany.)

He's pretty good on giving details, even though he was writing with a board
across his lap, tired, and nearly asleep.

One of the more interesting details I just read is that the ship he sailed
on fired a cannon to signal it was time to weigh anchor. I couldn't help
thinking, "Just give an order and pass it down the line. 'Weigh anchor.'"
Why fire a cannon? And I suppose there was no other ship nearby to be hit
by the cannonball.

The captain had a glass eye because of a barroom brawl. He also was not
promoted the entire time he served in America.

He also didn't marry until he was 44 and then he proceeded to have 7
children.

Ain't history fascinating?