AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1059227288

From: "Elvin Birth" <>
Subject: [A-REV] July 26, 1779
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:48:08 -0400

Head Quarters, Wyoming,
"The several corps to make a return of muskets, bayonets, belts, shot
bags and other accouterments which may be wanted, also the number of shoes,
blankets and other clothing deficient, in order that those articles on hand
may be dealt out equally and others procured as soon as possible. These
returns to be sent in by eight o'clock tomorrow morning to Head Quarters.
A quantity of buck shot may be had from Capt. Topham, Commissary of
Military Stores. The conductor of horses of the several corps are to apply
to the Quarter Master immediately for pack saddles, slings, &c. for the
horses assigned to them respectively.
Agreeable to the order of the 24th all the troops at this post will
parade at four o'clock this afternoon in order to attend the execution of
the several punishments to be inflicted upon the criminals belonging to the
German Regiment. The place of execution will be on the right of Gen.
Maxwell's Brigade.
Col. Antis is appointed Conductor of Boats and is to be respected and
obeyed as such. He is directed to parade all the boatmen under his command
this afternoon and make accurate return of them to the Commander-in-Chief.
He will immediately examine the situation of the oars and setting poles,
and make a return of the deficiency to Col. Butler."

Monday July 26, 1779 diary entries:

Erkuries Beatty, Lieutenant, 4th PA, Lake Otsego, "Raind almost all last
night and best part of this day."
Henry Dearborn, Lieutenant Colonel, 3rd NH, Forty Fort, "we are Informed
that Genl Parsons has had an Ingagement with a body of the Enimy near Wilton
7 miles from Norwalk in Connecticutt and finally repuls'd them."
Dr. Ebenezer Elmer, Surgeon, 2nd NJ, Wyoming, "Drisly weather in the
forenoon, the afternoon of the day more fair-- All hands dined at the
Colonels to day & after dinner we took a hearty game of Bandy wicket."
Daniel Livermore, Captain, 3rd NH, "This morning the weather still proves
rainy, but we proceed on the journey to Brinker's mill; there dine; move on
to Leonard's tavern and put up for the night. A dispute arises between Capt.
Peatt and myself. So ends the twenty four hours."
William McKendry, Lieutenant, 6th MA, Lake Otsego, "The three Prisoners
reprievd until Wednesday next."
James Norris, Major, 3rd NH, Forty Fort, "The five deserters sentenced to
suffer death Yesterday were reprieved."
Rev. William Rogers, D. D., Chaplain, Hand's Brigade, visits the criminals.
Samuel M Shute, Lieutenant, 2nd NJ, Wyoming, "although it rained every day
[26, 27, 28, 29, 30] I spent in writing to my friends &c &c &c."
Rudolphus Van Hovenburgh, Lieutenant, 4th NY, Lake Otsego, "The whole army
was ordered to attend the Execution of three criminals who were sentenced to
suffer Death convictd for Desertion but on their petitions were Reprieved
for a few days untill the 28th."

Excerpted from, "Conover, George S., compiler, JOURNALS OF THE EXPEDITION OF
MAJOR GENERAL JOHN SULLIVAN AGAINST THE SIX NATIONS OF INDIANS IN 1779 ...;
1778-1887; (Auburn, NY: Knapp, Peck & Thompson., 1887), Facsimile reprint
(Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 2000)" or from:
"Donna Bluemink, Transcriptionist, MILITARY: REV WAR: ORDERLY BOOK. GEN.
SULLIVAN'S EXPEDITION. JUNE 19TH, 1779, TO JULY 30TH, 1779. PENNSYLVANIA
ARCHIVES, SIXTH SERIES, VOL. XIV, PAGES 23-65
; ; Available April 5, 2003 at:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/1pa/military/revwar/6-14sullivan.txt
"

Elvin Birth, born at 41.230744, -76.258502, NAD27 a while back.
Now greeting each new day at <http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-EEB>;

This thread: