AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058470755

From: Eva Dayle Zippay <>
Subject: [AMER-REV] Lady Washington
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

Don't forget that as she was the first President's wife, no one knew what to call her, and "Lady" is what the people of the British colony in America were used to calling women who had a degree of social standing.

Remember, there were some in the new United States who wanted to make George Washington King. If I remember correctly, had he accepted the offer, he would have been. It was President Washington who set the standards of our country in many respects--first by refusing to be King, and second, serving only two terms as President.

I think there was also a short-lived attempt to call our first President "Citizen Washington" a la the French.

Eva in Tallahassee

Eva Dayle Zippay
Tallahassee, Florida