AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058465580

From: "Rhonda Houston" <>
Subject: RE: [AMER-REV] Lady Washington
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:13:00 -0500

Won't have been the signs of the times (for the label) 'lady' as well as
since the President is the first in-command of the nation, but also look
from where Mr./Pres. Washington had his roots deeply rooted and with this
background, there must have come with this educated and parliament active
background beliefs, attitudes, and customs of that time.

Rhonda

http://www.inspirationalimports.com/selbyabbey/washington.htm
The story of the Washington family begins with William, who settled at
Washington in County Durham, northeast England, some time before 1180. Like
other great medieval landed proprietors the Washington's moved between their
estates, living in different properties in turn while performing local
duties and services, but known by the name of their principal residence.
William, descended from the younger son of an ancient noble house, became
the founder of another great line, which, after varied fortunes,

It was Laurence Washington, born c. 1500, the eldest son of John Washington
of Warton, Lancashire, who first settled at Sulgrave with his second wife
Amy, the third daughter of Robert Pargiter of Greatworth, near Sulgrave. His
former wife, Elizabeth, died childless and Robert Washington his eldest son,
born to Amy in 1544, inherited Sulgrave Manor with about 1250 acres. In
1568, Robert's Wife Elizabeth gave birth to a son, Lawrence, who later
married Margaret, daughter of William Butler, of Tyes Hall, Cuckfield,
Sussex, he died on 13th December 1616 in her fathers' lifetime.

The Reverend Lawrence Washington, was born in 1602, the fifth son of
Lawrence and Margaret. He was educated at Brasenose College, Oxford, where
he graduated with a BA in 1623. He became rector of Purleigh, Essex, a
wealthy living, in April 1633. That summer he married Amphyllis, daughter
and Co-heiress of John Twigden, of Little Creaton, Northamptonshire. Their
eldest son John was born the following spring.

In 1643, Parliament ordered the living of Purleigh to be sequestered and he
was ejected. The Civil war was in progress and he was accused as a
"Malignant Royalist". He became greatly impoverished and Amphyllis and their
children made their home with her stepfather at Tring (her mother had
remarried after her father's death). John Washington was about 19 when his
father died in poverty in 1654/5. Two years later, his mother died intestate
and was buried at Tring.

When John came of age, soon afterwards, he went to London. He married and
sailed for Virginia in 1656, unfortunately his wife died and in 1658 he
married again, this time to Anne, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Nathaniel
Pope JP, of The Cliffs, an early settlement on the northern neck of Virginia
near the Potomac. The wedding present from his father-in-law was a 700 acre
estate at Mattox Creek, where their eldest son Lawrence was born in 1659.

Lawrence Washington inherited Mattox Creek Farm from his father. In 1685 he
was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses and in about 1686 married
Mildred, daughter and co-heiress of Colonel Augustine Warner, of Warner
Hall. Lawrence made his will on 11th March 1698 and died soon after, leaving
his wife with three children, John, who was nearly seven, Augustine, aged
three, and Mildred, a baby.

Augustine came of age in 1715 and with an estate of 1700 acres, married
Jane, the 16 year old heiress of Major Caleb Butler JP on 20th April the
same year. He married secondly on 6th March 1730, Mary Ball, then an orphan
aged 23. Their first born, on 22nd February 1732 was George, who became the
first president of the United States of America.

http://ragz-international.com/george_washington.htm
John Washington was the great-grandfather of George Washington. He was an
Englishman of good family who came to Virginia in 1657 and founded the
American branch of the family. He obtained a grant of 150 acres in
Westmoreland County on the Potomac River. He soon saw a future in the
wilderness upriver. In 1674 he and a partner secured a second grant of 5,000
acres about 18 miles below the modern city of Washington, D.C. This was the
site of Mount Vernon. John Washington was well known as a planter,
businessman, and military leader. The hostile Indians called him
Conotocarius--"destroyer of villages."

Little is known of John's son Lawrence, but his grandson Augustine left a
clear record. He had many holdings--farms, businesses, mines, and land. He
was a man of great energy. He added to the Westmoreland plantation until it
included the whole peninsula between Popes Creek and Bridges Creek, small
streams emptying into the Potomac.

Augustine Washington had four children by his first wife. His second wife
was Mary Ball Washington. Her family had been settled in Virginia in about
1650 by her grandfather, Col. William Ball. She was born in 1708 and was
orphaned at 13. She inherited 400 acres of Virginia land, some slaves and
riding horses, jewelry, and household equipment.

George was the eldest child of Augustine and Mary Ball Washington. He was
born on Feb. 22 (Feb. 11 on the calendar used then), 1732, at the Bridges
Creek plantation, later called Wakefield. His five younger brothers and
sisters were Elizabeth, Samuel, John Augustine, Charles, and Mildred (who
died in infancy). George's two half brothers, Lawrence and Augustine, were
14 and 12 years older than he, but the three boys liked and respected one
another.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~feg3e/GWBio/reviewers.html
a book about GW