AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058461384

From: "Elvin Birth" <>
Subject: [AMER-REV] July 17, 1779
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:03:04 -0400

Head Quarters, Wyoming,
"The drivers furnished at Easton for Col. Procter's Artillery from the 3rd
Jersey and 2nd and 3rd New Hampshire Regiments are ordered forthwith to join
their respective corps.
Col. Procter will acquaint the Adjutant General of the number of drivers he
shall require during the campaign, who are to be selected in due proportion
from the several corps in the army."

Saturday 1779 diary entries:

Erkuries Beatty, Lieutenant, 4th PA, Lake Otsego, "No News--"
Henry Dearborn, Lieutenant Colonel, 3rd NH, "we hear the enimy are pursueing
their savage plans of burning plundering & destroying defenceless towns that
they have burnt fairfield Norwalk & part of New Haven in Connecticutt &
Bedford in N York State These things we may thank our good friends the
tories for what will not those hell hounds doo us There was a very
striking instance of their more than savage barbarity in the battle of the 2
Butlers" and then repeats the brother versus brother tale first reported by
Rev. William Rogers, D. D., Chaplain, Hand's Brigade,
"Donna Bluemink, Transcriptionist, JOURNAL OF REV. WILLIAM ROGERS, D.D.,
CHAPLAIN OF GEN. HAND'S BRIGADE IN THE SULLIVAN EXPEDITION. ; 1779;
Available April 5, 2003 at:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/1pa/military/revwar/rogersjournal01.
txt"
Dr. Ebenezer Elmer, Surgeon, 2nd NJ, Wyoming, "Dined with Genl.Sullivan, a
very considerable number of Genn. were present & we were entertained with a
great plenty of good punch."
George Grant, Sergeant Major, 3rd NJ, "Received the agreeable news of Gen.
Wayne having surprised and taken 600 of the enemy at Stony Point, with also
their baggage and artillery."
William McKendry, Lieutenant, 6th MA, Lale Otsego, "Doctr. Younglove arrivd.
in camp from Mohawk river."
Rev. William Rogers, D. D., Chaplain, Hand's Brigade, "We learnt that the
Indians have been committing some outrages on the western branches of the
Susquehannah."
Rudolphus Van Hovenburgh, Lieutenant, 4th NY, "the sick were sent to the
genl Hospital under the Direction Doct. McCrea."

Excerpted from, "Conover, George S., compiler, JOURNALS OF THE EXPEDITION OF
MAJOR GENERAL JOHN SULLIVAN AGAINST THE SIX NATIONS OF INDIANS IN 1779 ...;
1778-1887; (Auburn, NY: Knapp, Peck & Thompson., 1887), Facsimile reprint
(Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 2000)" or from:
"Donna Bluemink, Transcriptionist, MILITARY: REV WAR: ORDERLY BOOK. GEN.
SULLIVAN'S EXPEDITION. JUNE 19TH, 1779, TO JULY 30TH, 1779. PENNSYLVANIA
ARCHIVES, SIXTH SERIES, VOL. XIV, PAGES 23-65
; ; Available April 5, 2003 at:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/1pa/military/revwar/6-14sullivan.txt
"

This thread: