AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058383541

From: "lguzman" <>
Subject: Re: [AMER-REV] Mr Washington
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:25:41 -0500

The letter in question was addressed: George Washington, Esq., etc. etc.
etc."

It was the proper form of address to use when in doubt about what title to
use, but the letter was refused because it was not addressed to "General
Washington."

For General Howe to have addressed the letter to "General" Washington would
have given legitimacy to the "rebel" army and his rank.

In writing about this time period, I have to be careful that my British
characters refer to Washington as "Mister Washington" and not "General
Washington."

Lila