AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058381858

From: Eva Dayle Zippay <>
Subject: [AMER-REV] Mr., Sir, or President
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:57:39 -0700 (PDT)

What happened to the President being called "Mr. President?" Now, it seems to me that's the ultimate in respect.

I've been noticing that the news media does NOT afford that honorific to the President most of the time, and it bothers me. After all, we are a nation of Mr.'s, Mrs.', Sirs, and Ma'am's, but we have only one President.

Also (an afterthought), our military services are full of "Sirs"--my son was one of them. But he wasn't the President.

Respect should be given, properly, where respect is due, regardless of one's personal or political views. In this country we honor the office, not the man. Some people forget that, including some who hold the office. We plain people shouldn't.

Eva in Tallahassee

Eva Dayle Zippay
Tallahassee, Florida