AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058274468

From: "lguzman" <>
Subject: Re: [AMER-REV] Rev War Payment question
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:07:50 -0500

Hey, Barry and Saralie,

Most people were illiterate in this time period. My guess (and it's only a
guess) is that the officer signed for it in the "by whom received" column,
then gave it to the men because someone had to sign for it. (Making one's
mark wasn't enough????)

Then, too, when you're at a remote site nowadays, an officer acts as pay
officer for the day, drives to Bremen (or wherever) with an enlisted person
as armed guard, gets the pay from the pay master, signs for it, hightails it
back to camp, then disperses the pay.

Maybe there was the same sort of system during the Am. Rev?