AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058204301

From: "Caitanya" <>
Subject: Re: [AMER-REV] Rev War Payment question
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:38:21 -0700

Hi Barry: I have a similar problem for our ancestor, Major Northam of Accomack County, Virginia. His pay of 5-1-4 pounds was received by Col Cropper on April 30, 1785. The card says, "A List of Soldiers of the Virginia Line on Continental Establishment who have received Certificates for the balance of there (sic) full pay Agreeable to an Act of Assembly passed November Session 1781."

I now believe that Col Cropper was the leader of his unit. He accepted the pay for several members of this unit. Unfortunately, this payment and a card which merely says Major is a private are the only references to revolutionary war service that I've been able to find for him.

Saralie