AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1058199680

From: "lguzman" <>
Subject: Re: [AMER-REV] British knew in advance about Trenton
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:21:40 -0500

I'm shooting from the hip, as I often do, but this makes the fiction writer
in me come out.

(BTW, thanks for sending this story. I can use it in something I'm working
on.)

Why would someone ignore a tipoff in wartime?

1. Is the source of the tipoff setting you up or is the information good?
How can you tell that the man isn't a Patriot trying to get you to do
something not in your best interest? (Like taking part of your forces in
the wrong direction.)

2. Is the source of the information drunk? Do any of your soldiers know
this person and can vouch for his good character? What's his motive for the
tipoff? Does he have his hand out? Is he loyal to good King George and is
simply doing his patriotic duty?

3. What is the commanding officer like? If I'm given a tipoff, do I trust
the CO or do I think he's going to hang me out to dry if I pass this
information along and it turns out to be false? I don't want to be
perceived as a loose cannon.

4. It's far easier to say, in hindsight, "Golly, gee, that man was right.
Washington DID sneak up on us."

It's really convenient for this guy to claim after the fact that there was a
tipoff but no one would listen to him. Call me cynical, but in the Navy, we
called this CYA.

Lila