AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1057670294

From: "Elvin Birth" <>
Subject: [AMER-REV] July 8, 1779
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:18:14 -0400

Head Quarters, Wyoming, "It being beyond a doubt that parties of savages are
hovering around camp, the troops are reminded of the order against straggling.
They are also forbidden to discharge their muskets on any pretense unless
liberty be obtained for that purpose from Head Quarters.
Those who are detected in breech of this order are to receive twenty lashes
upon the spot.
Should the commanding officers of regiments judge the hour of exercise in the
morning to be unsuitable on account of heavy fogs, they will change it to any
other in the day."

Thursday July 8, 1779 diary entries:
Erkuries Beatty, Lieutenant, 4th PA, Lake Otsego, " Today at one of the Pickets
two of the out Centries fired at two men they saw creeping up to them, they did
not Return the fire but Immediately Ran away, T. D. D. W. The Gl. --Nothing of
consequence happened today."
Dr. Ebenezer Elmer, Surgeon, 2nd NJ, "Two Scouts of two officers & 25 men each,
went out from this Brigade this morning in pursuit of the Indians discovered
yesterday but returned P. M. without effecting anything. A kind of thoughtful
melancholy possessed my mind this evening wc. prevented my taking any rest
untill the latter part of the night, constantly ruminating on the past
transactions of life & my future prospects therein."
William McKendry, Lieutenant, 6th MA, "Two of our centries fired on two men in
the bush, supposd. them to be spies--the officers drew each one Cag more of
Rum."
Rev. William Rogers, D. D., Chaplain, Hand's Brigade, gives a very good account
of an excursion to the Wyoming Battlefield, including a detailed brother vs.
brother report. It is at:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/1pa/military/revwar/rogersjournal01.txt";
Rudolphus Van Hovenburgh, Lieutenant, 4th NY, "The first line was of duty for
inspection."

Excerpted from, "Conover, George S., compiler, JOURNALS OF THE EXPEDITION OF
MAJOR GENERAL JOHN SULLIVAN AGAINST THE SIX NATIONS OF INDIANS IN 1779 ...;
1778-1887; (Auburn, NY: Knapp, Peck & Thompson., 1887), Facsimile reprint
(Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 2000)" or from:
"Donna Bluemink, Transcriptionist, MILITARY: REV WAR: ORDERLY BOOK. GEN.
SULLIVAN'S EXPEDITION. JUNE 19TH, 1779, TO JULY 30TH, 1779. PENNSYLVANIA
ARCHIVES, SIXTH SERIES, VOL. XIV, PAGES 23-65
; ; Available April 5, 2003 at:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/1pa/military/revwar/6-14sullivan.txt";
see also:
"Donna Bluemink, Transcriptionist, JOURNAL OF REV. WILLIAM ROGERS, D.D.,
CHAPLAIN OF GEN. HAND'S BRIGADE IN THE SULLIVAN EXPEDITION. ; 1779; Available
April 5, 2003 at:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/1pa/military/revwar/rogersjournal01.txt";

Elvin Birth, born at 41.230744, -76.258502, NAD27 a while back.
Now greeting each new day at <http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-EEB>;

This thread: