AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1057642199

From: "Ed St.Germain" <>
Subject: [AMER-REV] Of silver medals and warm fuzzies
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:32:25 -0700

All of us can appreciate warm fuzzies that touch upon the RevWar. But
the trouble with greater than 99% of them is that they consist of an
atom of truth wrapped up in what my friends who speak Yiddish refer to
as a "buba miza" (sp.?) or "grandmother story," the kind of fairy tale
that our sainted grannies made up to amuse us.

Today, I've got a warm fuzzy that's true for a change, which statement
I'm able to make because I had a tiny part in its unfolding.

Some of you may know that Hugh Harrington, historian and author from
Georgia, has kindly allowed me to publish on my website one of his
articles, concerning General "Mad Anthony" Wayne. Part of the page
consisted of graphics depicting the gold medal that Congress had sticken
to honor Wayne for the action at Stony Point.

One of the readers of the webpage, an 83 year old gentleman, contacted
Mr. Harrington, as the gentleman recognized the medal depicted on the
webpage as being identical to one that he had purchsed many, many years
ago for fifty dollars. He was originally drawn to it by the stunning
beauty of the engraving work, not thinking it had any particular
historical value. But reading the webpage, he became at first curious,
then highly skeptical of the provenance of his medal, since it was
silver and not gold, as Wayne's had been. He contacted the Park Service
people at Stony Point but they didn't know anything about a silver
medal.

Hence, he made contact with the author of the article to see if what he
owned was anything of historic interest, or just a latter-day knock-off
that had been produced in the millions, a la Danbury Mint.

Mr. Harrington did some digging, and found that indeed, Congess had
ordered two *silver* medals stricken, along with the one gold one
destined for Wayne. The silver ones were to be given to Lieutenant
Colonel Fleury and Major Stewart.

Although more work will be needed to determine which of the two is the
one in question, it does appear that yet another priceless relic from
the dawn of Freedom has surfaced.

The owner of the piece is now shopping for a museum to leave his medal
to when the time comes for him to meet its original recipient, rather
than let it pass as part of his general estate and possibly once again
fall through the cracks of history for centuries.

--
For Revolutionary War information on the Internet, your first choice
should be AMERICANREVOLUTION.ORG

This thread: