AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-L Archives

Archiver > AMERICAN-REVOLUTION > 2003-07 > 1057333693

From: "Elvin Birth" <>
Subject: [AMER-REV] July 4, 1779
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:48:13 -0400

Sunday July 4, 1779 diary entries:

Erkuries Beatty, Lieutenant, 4th PA, "Last night we were alarmed by one of our
Centries firing at Indians who was crieping up to them, we Remained under arms
one Hour then went to our tents with orders not to pull of our Cloaths, there
was several shots fired before morning, and at Day break we tracked a number of
Indians Round about our pickets but never one of them returned our fire. Major
Parr with his Rifle men went on Scout this morning. This Day being the Day that
Independence was declared it was celebrated by firing a Feu De Joy all the
troops was drew up on the Banks of the Lake in one line with the two Pieces of
Artillery on the Right there was 13 Pieces of cannon fired and three Volleys of
Musquetry one after another and three Cheers with every fire it was done
extraordinary well and with great exactness, afterwards the troops was drew up
in a Circle by Columns on a little hill when Parson Granoo preached us a sermon
suitable to the occasion from the 4 Chapter of Exodus and 12 Verse, afterwards
the troops was Dismissed, Col. Rignier Adjt. Genl. gave an invitation to all the
officers to come and drink Grog with him in the evening accordingly a number
of officers (almost all) assembled at a large Bowery which he had prepared on
the bank of the lake but however we sot on the ground in a large Circle and
closed the Day with a Number of Toast suitable & a great Deal of Mirth for two
or three hours and then Retirned to our tents, the whole Day was Conducted
extremely well considering the place, a great deal of provision came over they
Lake here today--Weather very warm-- This afternoon Lt. Evans Rifle Regt.
Returned from a Scout being down the Susquehannah as far as Yaukams but brought
no news of consequence."
Henry Dearborn, Lieutenant Colonel, 3rd NH, "This is the Anniversary of the
Declaration of American Independence but as it is Sunday we take no other notice
of it than that of having a Sermon adapt to the Occasion Col Cilly's &
Courtlandt's reg'ts cross'd the river and Join'd us today Several dear & wild
turkeys have been kill'd within a day or two with which this Country abounds."
Dr. Ebenezer Elmer, Surgeon, 2nd NJ, "This morning near 30 boats went down the
river after provisions. The hands enlisted for the purpose of navigating the
boats having mostly deserted & left them we were obliged to turn out a Command
for that purpose"
John Hardenburgh, Lieutenant, 2nd NY, "Decamped from Jacob's Plains, crossed the
river Susquehannah and encamped on the west side of the River, near forty fort
on a fine plain called Abraham's Plains."
William McKendry, Lieutenant, 6th MA, "P. M. Genl. & comy. Genl. arrivd at this
Lake with the rear of the Stores, 30 Indians arrivd. at this Lake to go the
expedition with Genl. Clinton, they were commanded by Col. Hunyary."

Excerpted from, "Conover, George S., compiler, JOURNALS OF THE EXPEDITION OF
MAJOR GENERAL JOHN SULLIVAN AGAINST THE SIX NATIONS OF INDIANS IN 1779 ...;
1778-1887; (Auburn, NY: Knapp, Peck & Thompson., 1887), Facsimile reprint
(Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 2000)"

Elvin Birth, born at 41.230744, -76.258502, NAD27 a while back.
Now greeting each new day at <http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-EEB>;

This thread: