ADAMS-L Archives

Archiver > ADAMS > 2003-01 > 1042422895

From: Walter <>
Subject: Re: [ADAMS-L] letter
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:55:00 -0500

Kay:
Good evening. Hope this material helps. Let me know what you see,
good or bad!
Walt

It may well be that the most succinct way to give what we know of
Sophia is to cite the Ashcraft bible
(1) and the manuscript by my father Frank (2); thusly: "Sophia
Ashcraft Wife of James Ashcraft was
Born Nov. 27th.1790;" and "James Ashcraft & Sophia Adams Daughter of
Ebenezer & Lucinda
Adams married", no date given. But we can do a little estimating
here. The next entry reads, "Emoline
Ashcraft Daughter of James & Sophia Ashcraft was Born Oct. 10th
1810". If Sophia was born in
1790, she was only 20 when the child was born, and she must have been
married sometime in 1809.
We conclude quotations from this Bible with these entries: "Sophia
wife of James Ashcraft died June
16th 1864 aged 73 yrs 5 mo 20 days". At this point, we have given what
we know. Please see the
entry for James Ashcraft for a bit more that we may surmise.

2. The Documented Ancestry On Her Mothers Side Of Ruby Ford
Williams; Frank L. Williams,
1972.
***Our problem with Ebenezer is the standard one of finding where he
came from on his way west.
We first place him in the census of 1800 (1) and then 1810 (2) in
Luzerne County, Braintrim
Township, Pennsylvania. A little history helps. As late as 1782
Connecticut held a piece of land
that stretched across the northern border of Pennsylvania, was a
Connecticut County for a period,
and was heavily settled from Connecticut. In the 1960's when I met and
talked to the holders of
the old Ashcraft Bible and visited the relevant cemeteries in the
area, I was told that the tradition
was that the Ashcraft, Adams, and Burgess families all came from
Connecticut. If indeed this is
what occurred, then the way west from Connecticut, was down the Hudson
River to the
Delaware River, then across the Water Gap to the Susquehanna River
valley and the Wyoming.
So now we must go looking for Ebenezer.

A search for Adams in the 1790 census of Northumberland County and
Northampton County
Pennsylvania drew a blank. Sophia Ashcraft, the youngest daughter is
listed in the census of 1850
(3) as being born in Pennsylvania, age 60. This suggests, but does not
prove that Ebenezer and his
family moved into Pennsylvania on this way west in the late summer or
fall of 1790. Since we
find Ebenezer and his family in Pennsylvania in 1800 (1), it appeared
reasonable to assume that
they were from Connecticut and to start with an investigation of the
earlier Connecticut records.

The 1800 census of Connecticut for Windham County gave a number of the
family names we
were looking for, Ashcraft, Adams and Burgess (4). This would appear
to be the right neck of the
woods. Dropping back to 1790, a complete check of the census found
there are two Ebebezer
Adams (5), one in Hartford Town and the other in Windham County,
Canterbury Town. At least
provisionally, it seems reasonable to suspect that the Ebenezer in
Windham County, Canterbury
Town is the correct one. They would appear based on this record to be
a couple with six children,
three boys and three girls. They are listed as owning a single slave.
We can surmise from this that
Ebebezer and his wife are probably in their upper 20's or lower 30's
in age and have a moderate
wealth based on owning a slave. Such an estimate of Ebebezer's age
fits well with the 1800
census record in Pennsylvania (1). On the other hand, the listing of
only one adult male in 1800
does not fit unless some disaster had overcome the family and a number
of children had died. So
we are finally left with a quandary, is this the correct Ebenezer or
not!

This same census record suggests that in 1800 Sophia was the youngest
child, nine at the time of
the census, and that she had an older sister. The census of 1810 (2)
allows us to amplify on this
information a bit. Sophia's older sister may have been as much as four
years her senior, no more if
the age brackets are correct. She also had a younger brother, four or
five years her junior. There
of course may well have been other children who did not survive. We
can hazard the guess that
Sophia and her family had a reasonably stable situation since they
were living in the same county
and township in both 1800 and 1810.

References.
1. Census 1800, Luzerne County, Braintrim Twp., Pennsylvania.
Appendix I
2. Census 1810; Luzerne Co., Braintrim Twp., Pennsylvania. Appendix
II
3. Census 1850, Wyoming County, Forkston Twp., Pennsylvania, See
Appendix I, James L.
Ashcraft.
4. 1800 census of Connecticut for Windham County.
5. Census 1790 Connecticut. Appendix III