ADAMS-L Archives

Archiver > ADAMS > 2003-01 > 1042245906

From: Janet Duffield <>
Subject: [ADAMS-L] letter
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:45:16 -0800 (PST)

This is a letter I transcribed that I recently received a copy of:

1809 Vine Street Philadelphia Jan 3, 1889

James B Adams Esq

My verry dear Sir I am shure you will excuse me for addressing you Strangers as we are to each other I have just received a letter dated Providence R.I. of you making enquiries from a Mrs A.E.A. Linesey spoke who is a second cousin of mine her grandfather on her fathers side was Abija Adams of Lwyern Warren Co NY. My grandfather was his brother named Silas Adams of Milton Saratoga Co N.Y. The above named old gentlemen were the sons of Peter Adams of Brooklyn of Windham Conn- I suspect your and my grandfather were brothers if I can be of any service to you I will be glad to serve you I laid my grandfather away in the cold ground in Milton N.Y. in 1854 at 97 years of age I left that town in which I was born came here in 1869 I will be 80 years old on the 24 day of the coming March

My health is most excellent I came here when I had 4 sons that were in the government Service during the war on the medicall staff they they stopt in Philadelphia at the close of the war one a doctor the others merchants they were all young one has died the others are here yet all verry busy men and successful in business as for myself I am retired and live easy with my wife and daughter at the above No- Now I hope you and I spring from the same family tree but if it turns out to be otherwise I am shure there is no hurt done so you take this for what it is worth please reply

Happy New Year to you

Truly your Nevrnon Thomas

Janet Whitney Duffield