ADAMS-L Archives

Archiver > ADAMS > 2001-07 > 0996621644

From: "Cvbeck" <>
Subject: RE: [ADAMS-L] Re: Virginia
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:20:44 -0400

I was a history (minor) in college. I studied the Civil War and found that
the main reason of the South wishing to separate from the States was because
Abraham Lincoln was elected as president without one single southern
electorial vote. The south knew they had completely lost all power over
their own destiny. Slavery was a terrible thing...I wish it had never
happened but it was only made the "issue" of the war by the North to keep
England from supporting and assisting the South in the war effort. The
south supplied England with major amounts of cotton. England turned to
India for cotton and didn't support the South.

My family has always farmed the ground...land rich but money poor. They
owned no slaves. I am so proud of my Southern Heritage! I'm proud to be
part of a diverse nation of people where I can travel to the North and enjoy
the culture there, (or West or South) but I can return to my kith and kin
and know there is a GOD above. God bless you all...the internet makes this
world...even smaller...than its ever been. I enjoy and respect ya'll no
matter what side of the Mason Dixon you come from...after all, I believe we
all started back with Adam and Eve....so that part of the mystery has been
solved. (Smile)