ADAMS-L Archives

Archiver > ADAMS > 2001-07 > 0996508252

From: "Scott Hansen" <>
Subject: Re: [ADAMS-L] Re: Virginia
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:50:52 -0500

> > My intentions were to stir attention to a problem I've witnessed
> > since starting my family genealogy studies. I'm proud being an American
> and proud of my southern heritage. We know only of the Civil War from the
> victor's point of view.

I beg to differ... there is too much documentation available to NOT know
both sides of the story... every step of the process that lead up to the war
is know... not only from newspapers of the time, but also from letters,
official documents, etc from both sides. Today it is understood why things
happened, and what was going on from both perspectives... and, I'd say there
was no winner in that war, only one side who lost a little less than the
other.

> Slavery was an issue that brought up the real
> reason for the Civil War, which was a state's right to dissolve itself
from
> the union. Jefferson Davis felt that the Articles of Confederation which
> brought the union together, allowed a state this right. Abraham Lincoln
> said no way and the war was on.

Actually, this is not true... the war started over slavery and the South's
fear of losing their 'way of life'... Lincoln was working hard to prevent
the spread of slavery to the new territories, but did not want to mess with
slavery as it existed in the South. When Lincoln was elected, the slave
states seceded from the Union. Lincoln did not want a war, but was slowly
pressured into it over the weeks during the siege at Fort Sumter. When
Lincoln sent in ships with food and supplies, the fort was fired upon, and
the war was on. The war was waged in order to prevent the secession, but the
cause was slavery.

> Ninety percent of southerner's didn't own
> slaves, so why would they go to war over that issue.

Because the average citizen does not make those decisions... it was the
people with money and power, who were also the slave owners.

> Slavery is a part of
> our American history, something that we today had nothing to do with or
> about. It was a part of life in the 17th, 18th and 19th century, and
> slavery still exist in today's world. Those southerner's who fought for
> their states and homeland deserve the same recognition as those who fought
> for preservation of the union. They were fighting for causes they
believed
> in and there is no shame for this.

You are right about this... there is no shame in fighting for a cause you
believe in... but this terrible war can also show us that what we believe in
may not be the right thing to believe in morally. I will always honor the
bravery of the soldiers who died, but never their cause.

> There are many who would like to eradicate this memory as being
> racist, but it isn't. Take the American Indian, we only know that
situation
> from the victor's side. We think we understand the Indian's side, but we
> don't. There are those who want us to feel shame for taking the land from
> the Indian's. If that hadn't happened, there would be no union and United
> States of America as we know it today.

This is another thing that always gets to me. Yes, we came, we saw, we
conquered... the way it was done for eons... and the term 'Native American'
is offensive to me... not only in that it reeks of PC, but also in the fact
that I was born here, doesn't that make me a native American? The peoples
who were here when the Europeans came simply were the latest to conquer the
land... they may have gotten there earlier, but they migrated to this land
just like my ancestors did. Land changed hands with startling regularity in
those days, and it cannot be undone...

> Believe me, I've lived in Europe and
> have seen their civil rights for some. I'm proud that our country has put
> its' problems before the world and done something about it. We're not
> perfect and never will be. This is why I feel we have to honor our
> ancestor's memories and the heritage they past down to us. Some were
slave
> holders and we can't blame them for a way of life they inherited. Enough
of
> my soapbox speech and thank you for your kind note.

They can not be held accountable for their lifestyle, but there were many
who were born into it and could see it for what it was... far be it for me
to judge anyone past, present or future... I'll leave that up to the
Almighty... but I've always been both amazed and disgusted by the depths of
humanity's ability to inflict pain and suffering on itself, and justify it
in some way...

My .02

S.

This thread: