ADAMS-L Archives

Archiver > ADAMS > 2001-07 > 0996426215

Subject: [ADAMS-L] Re: Virginia
Date: 29 Jul 2001 11:03:35 -0600

My intentions were to stir attention to a problem I've witnessed
since starting my family genealogy studies. I'm proud being an American and proud of my southern heritage. We know only of the Civil War from the victor's point of view. Slavery was an issue that brought up the real reason for the Civil War, which was a state's right to dissolve itself from the union. Jefferson Davis felt that the Articles of Confederation which brought the union together, allowed a state this right. Abraham Lincoln said no way and the war was on. Ninety percent of southerner's didn't own slaves, so why would they go to war over that issue. Slavery is a part of our American history, something that we today had nothing to do with or about. It was a part of life in the 17th, 18th and 19th century, and slavery still exist in today's world. Those southerner's who fought for their states and homeland deserve the same recognition as those who fought for preservation of the union. They were fighting for causes they believed in and there is no shame for th!
is. There are many who would like to eradicate this memory as being racist, but it isn't. Take the American Indian, we only know that situation from the victor's side. We think we understand the Indian's side, but we don't. There are those who want us to feel shame for taking the land from the Indian's. If that hadn't happened, there would be no union and United States of America as we know it today. Believe me, I've lived in Europe and have seen their civil rights for some. I'm proud that our country has put its' problems before the world and done something about it. We're not perfect and never will be. This is why I feel we have to honor our ancestor's memories and the heritage they past down to us. Some were slave holders and we can't blame them for a way of life they inherited. Enough of my soapbox speech and thank you for your kind note.

This thread: