ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2012-02 > 1330035387

From: George Brander <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Loons and Quines
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:16:27 +0100

The linguistic variations of the folk in the North East are many and varied
going under different names. The speech pattern and pronunciation of a
Buchan loon from say Peterhead was different from that of a Torry quine and
completely different from a farmer from Clatt and again very different from
a toonser like myself.

What they were variously called didn't much matter to them or us and as my
grandfather used to say "ye can ca' me oneything as lang as ye dinnae ca me
ower" which translated meant "you can call me anything as long as you do
not knock me over" a play on the Scots word "ca' which has two meanings.
George ( a loon fae Aberdeen)