ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2010-06 > 1277335807

From: "goldie and Lido Doratti" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] illegitimate children
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:30:07 -0700

Hi Ray, I didn't intend to open a can of worms here. I know there are
reasons and good ones, for someone taking in a child. These families were
from the Grange area, BAN, and both seemed to be doing ok. I say that
'tongue in cheek' because I wasn't there, but having done some reaseach on
the Grange Kirk Session records and looking at the films of the OPR's for
Grange, it appears (question mark?) that the both families had their own
crofts, and the mother was needed on her families croft, and the father of
the little girl was needed on his families croft. This I can understand
when it was a case of 'all hands on deck' to make a living. It just seems
odd to me that the little girl who obviously grew up and married, 'seemed'
to belong to her father's family, and was not (if any) much a part of her
mother's family. I only brought this up when the conversation was on
'illegitimate children', thinking it would maybe give another insight to the
thread. I know from the research I do, that many of the 'illegitimate'
children were well taken care of. What I have read leads me to believe that
the Scots wouldn't see a child abandoned anywhere. They were taken care of,
and likely as well taken care of as their own children.
I just had a querie on another family who ties into our Innes family asking
if I knew who a child belonged to. The folks (from Scotland) seemed to
insist she belonged to the Innes extended family. I'll take her, was my
thought. But then I began to search census info and the like and it turns
out someone had made a mistake and although the Innes girl who married the
Lobban raised her (she shows on census info) she was in fact not a child of
theirs.
I don't know if someone thinks I am trying to argue, or if I have missed the
point here. It's just nice if you can in fact, find the parents of a child
who you can't tie into a tree, but who seems to fit in there.
Another one......born in Grange, mother is Jean McGregor, father is
supposedly a McLeod......documented on this girls 50th wedding anniversay;
writeup in the BAN paper, and also on her death cert. Who is she? I worked
this one to death and paid for info, and I still don't know who she belonged
to. Sometimes the trail seems to have no end... maybe it's just been
covered over. Point being, illegitimate children are not always what they
seem to be, or who others say they are. So keep an open mind when searching
them out. I rest my case........Goldie