ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2010-06 > 1276734266

From: "Andy Candlish" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] MEARNS
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:24:26 +1000

Hi

I think you will find that your John Mearns was born 20th Aug 1861 at
Auchterless and that the DOB on the 1916 document is simply incorrect. John
is living with his parents John & Isabella in the 1901 census at Strathorn,
Rayne and his age is shown as 36. Also in the household is his uncle William
Peter.

In the 1871 census John age 9, and his parents John & Isabella are living
with Isabella's father & brother both named William Peter at Wester Haughs
(sic) Auchterless. Mearns has been transcribed as MARUS on Ancestry.

Its not uncommon for ages to be incorrect on censuses and other documents.

Andy