ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2010-01 > 1262818361

From: Gavin Bell <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Lost Sailors
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:52:41 +0000

Ron and Laura Bozzay wrote:

> Here are some links pertinent to maritime law. Having said that, not
> everyone complies with laws as they are written and they vary from
> location to location. Also it appears the laws vary if you are a
> seaman(woman) in the military vs commerical ventures vs. pleasure
> crafts. Some links are US specific. Others are not. I have tried
> to but UK and Australia links toward top since they started the
> query...

A quick look at some of the "UK" links shows the authors of them
apparently unaware of the fact that what applies in England does not
appliy in Scotland. The basic rule of thumb is that the death of any
British mariner at sea should be reported to the Registrars in the
country where he was normally resident.

For Scottish marine deaths, the relevant authority is therefore the
Registrar General for Scotland, and information on the relevant records
is available on the Scotlandspeople website:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&404

Gavin Bell

This thread: