Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2010-01 > 1262369449

From: Gavin Bell <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Occupation Help
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:10:49 +0000
References: <b297b9371001010944y781f5edm29cf3c70e5f27490@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <b297b9371001010944y781f5edm29cf3c70e5f27490@mail.gmail.com>

Kathleen Ogg-Moss wrote:

> Is a joiner and a wright the same thing? Would a person be called a wright
> in Scotland and a joiner in England?

That is partly dependent on the time-period under consideration.
"Wright" is not a term in modern use, while "joiner" still is.

There may also be a difference in scope of the two terms. Traditional
English usage would distinguish between a carpenter, who does the
woodworking part of housebuilding, such as roofs and floors, and a
joiner, who does finer work involving more complex joints, such as
cupboards and rough furniture.

The older Scots term wright does not make this distinction, possibly
because, in smaller communities, the one woodworker would do everything.
This would include making coffins, and the local wright was
consequently often also the undertaker (or mortician).

Gavin Bell

This thread: