ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2009-09 > 1253411984

From: "C & J Hinricks" <>
Subject: [ABERDEEN] Registration of birth
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:59:49 +1200

My Grandfather Charles Scott Allan son of John Allan and Mary Ann Gow was born in Peterhead 14 April 1881. His birth was recorded as Charles-Scott-Allan and the other births on this page were recoded the same way ie. with a hyphen between each name. This was carried over to his marriage certificate and has caused much discussion in the family since. One son and at least one daughter were given the name Scott but the other five children were not. As a result we have one lot of cousins with the name Scott-Allan and one lot Allan. It may be that as the marriage and the birth of the first 2 children was in South Africa and the others in NZ things were recoded differently. I wonder if others who have had births registered in Peterhead at this time have used hyphenated names as a result of the way the event was recorded?

This thread: