ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2009-01 > 1233046322

From: Gavin Bell <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Roll call: ABERNETHY, HARVEY, LUMSDEN, STEPHEN,FIDDES, SETON
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:52:02 +0000

Robin Askew wrote:

>Robert ABERNETHY (1824-1884), of Ferryhill, Old Machar, Aberdeen +
>(1856) Sophia CAMERON (1824-1883), of Ballenlish, Banff

Does "Banff" mean the town of Banff, the parish of Banff or the County
of Banff? They are all different, and would have different implications
as to where Sophia's ancestors might be found. A marriage in 1856
should normally state the bride's parish of birth, and Ballenlish is not
the name of a parish in Banffshire. Neither can I find it anywhere in
the list of over 6,500 Banffshire placenames which a couple of us have
been working at.

Gavin Bell

This thread: