ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-11 > 1225967656

From: Gavin Bell <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] BRAND family Cruden
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:34:16 +0000

Joan Birtles wrote:

>What cemetery would people who were living at Cruden be buried in please?

There are two burial grounds in the parish. The kirkyard surrounding
the parish kirk, and St James Episcopal. You will find additional
information on them at:

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/burialgrounds/

>I have been given a Peter Brand & his family living at Auchinten Cruden on
>the 1861 census with quite a few servants living at this address including
>an Alexander Stuart aged 20 working as a ploughman.
>
>I have looked at the Kirkyard MI's I have but very few people by the name of
>Brand listed although I do not have anything for Cruden.

The MIs can be useful, but not everyone who was buried had a gravestone,
and not all stones (or inscriptions) have survived. The MIs for Cruden
are in draft form, so they may not be complete.

One of the bits of information you will find on the above site suggests
that burial records (as distinct from MIs) are available for Cruden from
an unusually early date - but I don't know how complete they are, either.

Remember, too, that while there is a presumption that in the rural 19th
century, people would be buried in their "home" kirkyard, there was no
inevitability about this - if the family had "emigrated" from a
different parish, they may still have had burial rights there.

Gavin Bell

This thread: