ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-03 > 1205573610

From: Gavin Bell <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] "More Solito"
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:33:30 +0000

Eva Mitchell wrote:

>Could someone on the list explain the meaning of "More Solito" as written in a marriage registration. I have noticed it appears often when both parties were from the same Parish -- "1816 March 12 - Mitchell & Birse - John Mitchell & Mary Birse both in this Parish, More Solito".

This is Latin, meaning "according to the usual custom". If you can find
an entry that does not include these words, we could perhaps establish
what the "usual custom" was. Customs did vary in different parishes,
and over time, but 1816 sounds a little late for the marriage process to
have started with the "Consignation of Pledges", so the phrase probably
means that the marriage was solemnised "... after Proclamations on
three separate Sabbaths".

Which parish was this?

Gavin Bell

This thread: