ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-03 > 1205438220

From: "Suzanne Walker" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] William Mitchell of Aboyne,Scotland (also various census transcriptions)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:57:00 -0700

Hello, Eva. The FreeCen site is much more reliable than Ancestry in its
transcriptions. It lists your "Battnagrova" as the much more plausible
"Balnagowan."

The site can be found here: http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
And a list of what is currently transcribed here:
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/statistics.html

Piece: SCT1841/170 Place: Aboyne & Glentanner -Aberdeenshire Enumeration
District: 1
Civil Parish: Aboyne & Glentanner Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or
Island: -
Folio: 1 Page: 1
Address: Balnagowan

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MIDDLETON George M 35 Farmer Aberdeenshire
MIDDLETON Isabella F 25 Aberdeenshire
MIDDLETON Jane F 8 Aberdeenshire
MIDDLETON Ann F 6 Aberdeenshire
WHYTE Jane F 20 Aberdeenshire Sis-in-law/farmers daughter
MITCHELL William M 19 Ag Lab Aberdeenshire
IRVINE Francis M 16 Ag Lab Aberdeenshire
CAMERON John M 10 Ag Lab Aberdeenshire
KEMP Ann F 20 Female Servant Aberdeenshire

>> I have located 1841 census records which show William (hopefully mine),
>> aged 19, working as an agricultural labourer in the Civil Parish of
>> Aboyne and Glentannar at Abomine Battnagrova. I cannot locate this place
>> on any maps or find any information on such a place. Would anyone know
>> if
>> this was a town, village, farm?

This thread: