ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-03 > 1205179383

Subject: [ABERDEEN] HELEN WILL
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:03:03 EDT

Hi Andy

I just noticed that in the 1901 census I notice that James age 20 is listed
as Garden,

I have tried to find his birth certificate, but as yes coming up with
nothing, I want to confirm if he was born a Garden or a Dalgarno, and just going
round in circles,

I saw someone mentioned that it was sometimes the case that the child would
assume the reputed fathers name in later life, this may be the case here,
either that or Margaret was dating sister Jane's husband first had a child and
then James ended marrying Jane and not Margaret

you have given me food for thought, so i have the day off today so going to
start digging round a little deeper

Kirsteen

Andy Wrote
In 1901 the family are living at 10 Ugie St (sic) Peterhead and consist of
>the following. All spellings as transcribed
>
>Peter PEDDIE 40
>Margaret PEDDIE 40
>James GARDEN 20
>Samuel GARDEN 20