ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-03 > 1204758021

From: "Ray Hennessy" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] HELEN WILL
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:00:21 +0000

Kirsteen <> wrote:

> ... Helen WILL ... MARRIED IN 1855 in Peterhead to John Garden
>
> they state they were born & registered in 1828 Helen in Fraserburgh
> and John in ABERDOUR, I have been unable to find births for either
> could this mean they were both Illegitimate ...

Hi Kirsteen

I wouldn't have thought that the evidence you give has any bearing on
their illegitimacy or otherwise. Their parents may not have registered
their births for any number of reasons: no cash, no faith, indolence, &c.

When you say "born and registered" does it give a full date? We have
a MC for 1855 [the first we found] and the entry is very difficult to read.
It says "born but not registered 1825" for the husband. We thought
it said "born and registered 1825" - spent ages trying to find the entry
in the OPR but a close examination showed that it wasn't to be found!
The same applied to the wife in 1835.

Both spouses were legitimate although the wife was a close run thing!
Her parents were only married in June 1835 having both had chequered
love lifes previously!!!

--
Best wishes

Ray