ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-03 > 1204506068

From: "Ray Hennessy" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Scotland's People.
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 01:01:08 +0000

On 02/03/2008, Diane McInnes <> wrote:

> ... when I was searching through Parish records
> ... I was advised by a professional researcher to look into
> about a 10yr 'window' past when I thought my ancestors
> should have been listed in parish birth register - because of
> the tax to register them, families, on occasion, would save
> up their money and then register 2 or more children at the
> same time - one of my families had 3 children registered at
> the same time, ranging in ages from 7 to 2, and I might have
> missed them had I not kept looking for several more years

Hi Diane [I've changed your Subject line back to the original]

1. Often the reason several children are registered together
some time after the events is that the Minister has gone
round insisting that parents register their children and some
were shamed/coerced into complying.
Alternatively if the family suddenly had a crisis of faith
and wanted to become regular attenders, the Minister
might insist on registration.

2. Occasionally the insertion of entries could get badly
handled. Gavin can tell you the long story of many Rathen
records which were found in the Minister's notebook up to
30 years after the event. His son transcribed what he could
of these records. Elsewhere odd slips of paper were similarly
found much later & inserted on the next page of the Register.

3.On the microfiche indexes to all entries in the OPRs, these
out-of-sequence entries are indicated by a Frame Number
[e.g. FR 235]. In theory this enables you to find the correct
page on the microfilm but that is a problem in itself as the
frame numbers are too often not visible on your normal film
reader. You might be able to find a number somewhere and
then count the frames till you get to the right one -
and fit a scutter that is! But it is probably much better
than scanning up to 10 years from the expected date.

If you don't have access to the Microfiche Index then ANESFHS
could look it up for you or print the OPR entry for you - or you
could get it from Scotland's People - all of which would cost.

--
Best wishes

Ray

>From Ray Hennessy