ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-01 > 1200926566

From: Bob Wallace <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] LDS familysearch.org ~ terminalogy
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 06:42:46 -0800

On Sunday 20 January 2008 12:35:54 pm Trena wrote:
> To those residents of: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of
> Man, Channel Islands, Lundy .. etc etc ...
>
> FYI
>
> Unfortunately in the USA (and with some of us in Canada, who ought to know
> better!) everything your way is referred to as the "UK" or "British".

You're lumping everyone into one very broad generalization! The LDS web site
may have done it for a specific purpose, others may do it that way for
similar reasons. I suspect most of us on this side of "the pond" distinguish
between England, Ireland, Scotland, etc.

> It's sort of like people (see countries listed above) on your side of the
> Atlantic calling the USA "America" or referring to those who live in the
> USA as "Americans". There are 3 Americas in the Western Hemisphere;
> North, Central and South America. There are 3 countries in North America;
> Canada, USA and Mexico. Central America also has 7 separate countries,
> with South America having 13(?) separate countries. That's at least 23
> countries in the Americas and makes all of us "American". Canada is the
> largest country in the Americas and second largest in the world.

Those on the other side of "the pond" refer to "Americans" because they are,
in most instances, talking about those of us who live in the United States of
America. One of the reasons for listening to and understanding the context.

Bob Wallace
Dayton, Nevada

This thread: