ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-01 > 1200896589

From: "M Keith Abel" <>
Subject: [ABERDEEN] USian
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 01:23:09 -0500

Judy:

Before the list mother (father?) calls a halt to this nonsense I thought I
should put my ore in the water.

I too have never heard of "USians". I thought your Spell Check put it
admirably and it inspired me to try "USian" out on Google.

Well now, Google first wanted to know if I meant Asian. It then followed
with the first 10 references to USian out of 16,700 !!
I sampled those first ten and came to the conclusion that the term was used
in a derogatory sense mostly. Some references were pretty subtly
derogatory, but derogatory nevertheless.

Most Interesting. What does it say about me and the others that said they
had never heard the term before if it is used mainly in a derogatory sense?

I was born in Winnipeg (Winnipegger), Manitoba (Manitoban) but legally I
was known, as were all citizens born in Canada at the time, as a "British
Subject
resident in Canada". I didn't become a "Canadian Citizen" until after the
second World War.

When traveling in Europe the thing that will rub a Canadian the wrong way
like no other, is to be mistaken for an American. (USian) There is no need
to worry about what Canadians and Mexicans think about the residents of the
United States referring to themselves as "Americans" they are perfectly
welcome to the term. Besides, shouldn't it be "United Statesian"?

M Keith Abel
Kingston, Ontario, Canada