ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2008-01 > 1200758697

From: "Ray Hennessy" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] Brothers in the army
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:04:57 +0000

On 19/01/2008, Cameron MCBAIN wrote:

> Ye gods.. I have to watch how quickly I leap to conclusions, I guess!

Too true, Cam!

> However - on my GGGG grandfather John McBain's death
> certificate in 1863, his son Allan lists John's father as NOT
> an Angus McBain but a John McBain, and also a Chelsea
> Pensioner at that!

Also you can't rely on the detail on a Death Certificate as the
one who knows is not in a position to give the facts! It seems
most likely that the Registrar got the wrong answer to the
question "Father?", meaning the Deceased's father, actually
getting the Informant's father's details.

We have a similar mix up on a DC but it's too complex to detail here.

Best wishes

Ray

PS I see David Massey has suggested the same thing. But remember:
"Two equal suggestions do not a fact make!" Copyright my grannie.

--
>From Ray Hennessy
Forenames website: www.whatsinaname.net
Preferred Email address: