ABERDEEN-L Archives

Archiver > ABERDEEN > 2007-10 > 1193409004

From: "ann zeman" <>
Subject: Re: [ABERDEEN] returning to Boddoms
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:30:04 -0700

Thanks, Gavin, once again. Your knowledge is such an asset to this forum!
I have one other question I forgot to add to the previous:
Some families are paying tax for their children--example: "George
Cruickshank, tennent, of valuatione is 7s. 6d., with his oun, his wyfe, his
sone, and daughter in familia, their poll is....1 11 06"
As above, sometimes the son or daughter is not named, sometimes is, but
William Mitchell and his wife, who according to OPR at this time had at
least 3 quite small children, has no children mentioned.
Question is: was there an age after which children paid tax and if they were
small they were exempt? I'm trying to understand why no children were
mentioned for him.

And, was there a poll a few years later that has been transcribed for us,
that might mention the names of the children?
Thanks again
Ann Zeman